Thursday, August 26, 2010

Transitions, changes, adjustments. oh my

At what point does class participation go from active to annoying?  That mark may have been reached during my first week of classes.  At least I think it was.  I could be wrong; maybe the professor wasn't thinking "geez, anyone other than him want to chime in?", but that seemed to be the vibe. 

A wise man once said "just because you have an opinion doesn't mean everyone else is entitled to it".  Embracing that philosophy is part of my transition from the corporate arena to academia.  In business, the only thing worse than a bad suggestion was the one not made.  I can't help it; I am a vocal guy.  Good thing, too, considering I am in the Communications and Journalism program.  However, it is quite possible, likely even, that not a single of my classmates is paying for the privilege of being regaled with my thoughts and meanderings.  I'll work on adding to the discussion when necessary and listening when it is not.

Transitioning is the theme of the moment.   That and fitting in with the other students, age gap be damned.  Probably odd for them, too, but since I am outnumbered, it makes more sense for me to adapt to the rest of the group than the other way around. 

At this point, being surrounded by sharp young folks is a nice change.  The blast of energy and enthusiasm are replacing the cynicism and jaded nature that can seep into the workplace after a few years of the same people doing more or less the same thing every day.  It is also a good antitode for the curmudgeon streak that begins to creep up on folks whose last foray to college was for Parents' Day and whose common refrain toward the younger generation is "ah, kids today...I tell ya".  The students in the Comm and Journo grad program are the type they will want to hire.

Meanwhile, the transition continues at home, too.  Those who read the first episode will know what I mean; those who didn't, well, what are you waiting for?  

No comments:

Post a Comment